Followers

Search me! :-) If you find it at Glass Half Full, it's all good!

Tweet Me! Tweet Me!

Follow Glass_Half_Full on Twitter

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

RECIPE: Farmer*sWife's pork and beef tacos

This is a great little meal to cook up. It's easy, very inexpensive and yummy. Also, you don't have to make tacos with this. You could serve the meat up over rice if you wanted or with other sides.

SIDE NOTE: This was a last minute idea to video this meal; so obviously I didn't think through the holding the camera while trying to cook at the same time idea. ;-? Next time, I'll pull out the little tri-pod. :-D

I usually get about a six pack of very thin sliced pork chops (boneless) for about $2.50 - $3.00 (max). I also purchase a pack of thin sliced Eye of Round steaks (same size and similar thickness to the pork chops) for $3.00 - $3.50.

I take half the pork chops and half the beef and freeze the other two halves together for a future meal. Then, I slice the meat into very thin strips, so that it will sautee' quickly and the meat will be tender.

Cook as I do in the video and WHALA! YUMMY and CHEAP! Meat for a meal for our family of four for under $3.00.



Did you notice I said, 'Breakfast'es'?  LOL!  That was a Lil'Gal term that spewed itself into the convo.

Add in home cooked beans and/or home refried beans and the meal comes up what, 25 - 50 cents?



Then add steamed veggies or salad and you're done!

TADA!!!



I make my own 'bagged' salad because I'm a BIG salad eater and it is so much cheaper and less 'pre-packaged/prepared'. I buy the generic veggie mixes/stir fry mixes (Hill Country Fair has good ones, Walmart's Great Value brand is yummy too). You can purchase a bag of veggies for about a buck or less.

[FYI, mincing your own garlic is not only cheaper but it doesn't have any of the preservatives in it.  And, yes, it lasts a long time in a cold fridge.  Though, I cook with it pretty regularly.]

There's your meal. Feeding a family of four for about $4.00 Bucks!!!!

If you family consists of BIG EATERS then double up the beans and veggies. Double up tortillas if you want. The beans and veggies are packed full of vitamins, iron, fiber, and more!!

That's one of Farmer*sWife's inexpensive meat meals! ;-)


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Gee that meat looks really good and funny enough taco shells (which I never buy) are on super special this week with coupons.

And I LOL on the red wine addition to the beans

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Nothin' special Pro-H but very good, simple, quick and healthy -- oh, and CHEAP! CHEAP! ;-)

And, yes. The red wine is a must with any form of red meat, LOL!

Labels